KADALE KAALU USLI
During the festival of Navaratri, we make a variety of dishes using legumes such as "uslis" and "sundals", typically without onion and garlic. These are offered as naivedyam and later served as a light snack.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for some of these, like:-
Today's snack is called Kadale Kaalu Usli and gets its name from Kadale Kaalu being the Kannada words for Black Chickpeas. These are called Kala Chana in Hindi. This can also be made using Kabuli Chana.
This easy to make snack is commonly made in my home State of Karnataka during the Navaratri Festival.
Tip : Whenever I make this dish, I keep the excess water from the cooked kadale kaalu and use this to prepare saaru later.
- Kadale Kaalu (Black Chickpeas/Chana ), 1 cup
- Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Hing ( Asafoetida) Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Byadgi Red Chillies, broken into halves, 1
- Curry Leaves, 6-8
- Lemon Juice, juice of half a lemon
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, 1 tbsp
- Fresh Coconut Gratings, 1/2 cup
- Ginger, roughly chopped, 1/2 " piece
- Green Chillies, 2
- Coriander Leaves, a fistful