Potatoes are amongst the most popular ingredients in our Indian cooking. North, South, East or West you will find dishes aplenty made with potatoes. They are called Aloo in Hindi, Aloogadde in Kannada, Batata in Marathi and Gujarati, and Batato in my mother tongue, Konkani.
Apart from being tasty and commonly available, potatoes have several health benefits as well.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find dishes made with potatoes, such as:-
Today's recipe is for a delicious side dish called Dahiwale Aloo as it is made with potatoes and curds ( aloo and dahi in Hindi) and a mixture of spices. You can use baby potatoes, if you wish. I have chosen to make this dish with less gravy today.
- Aloo (Potatoes), 2-3, about 250 grams
- Small-sized Tomatoes, 3
- Onion, 1
- Dahi (Fresh Thick Curds), 1 cup
- Turmeric (Haldi) Powder, 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Powder, 1 tsp or to taste
- Sugar, 1/2 tsp
- Coriander (Dhaniya) Powder, 1 tsp
- Cumin (Jeera) Powder, 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera), 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing), 1/8 tsp
- Green Chillies, 2
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, 1 and 1/2 tbsp for shallow frying + 1 tbsp for seasoning
- Coriander Leaves, finely chopped, 1 tbsp for garnish