Our love for seafood is reflected in today's dish which is made using black pomfret, which is called Kappu Maanji/Paplet/Halwa. Apart from tasting delicious, Black Pomfrets have many health benefits. They are high in fatty acids besides having lots of Vitamin B 12 which is good for the nervous system.
Today's recipe is for a spicy and tangy dish from Mangalore called Maanji Pulimanchi. Pulimunchi -in Tulu/Bunt cuisine - is a dish made with tamarind and chillies. I have adapted this from Pomfret Pulimanchi in Shruti's Cooking Channel.
We had this with hot steamed rice and it tasted awesome!
- Maanji/ Black Pomfret, 7-8 slices, or approx 500 gms
- Ginger, finely chopped, 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves, 7-8
- Onion, medium-sized, chopped, 1
- Green Chillies, slit, 2
- Water, to adjust consistency
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut Oil, 2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves, chopped, 1 tbsp - to garnish
- Fenugreek (Methi ) Seeds , 1/4 tsp
- Peppercorns, 3/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds, 3/4 tsp
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain), 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Seeds, (Dhania), 2 tbsp
- Byadgi Dry Red Chillies, 7
- Garlic Cloves, 9
- Onion, chopped, 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind, 1 tbsp, to be soaked
- Water, for grinding