With the advent of the summer the days become blazing hot and we yearn for something to cool off. Jaljeera is an age old drink which has the necessary cooling effect. The basic version of jaljeera is made with water ( Jal) and Cumin Seeds (Jeera). It is considered good for digestion and also improves one's appetite.
This version in addition to water and cumin seeds, has mint leaves, coriander leaves and assorted spices.
I have adapted this from Minty Jaljeera by the legendary Tarla Dalal. I have not garnished it with "boondi" out of my personal preference.
Try it out for yourself and you can enjoy it to beat the heat outside.
- Mint Leaves (Pudina), 1/2 cup
- Coriander, Leaves, (Dhania), 1/4 cup
- Lemon Juice, 1/4 cup
- Sugar, 2-3 tbsp or to taste
- Ginger, (Adrak), chopped, 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds, (Jeera), 1 tbsp
- Dried Mango Powder (Amchur) 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Black Salt, (Sanchal), 2 tsp
- Salt, 2 tsp
- Chilled Water, 3 and 3/4 cups