Credit for introducing tomatoes to the world, it is said, should go to the Spanish who first brought it to Europe from South and Central America. It then spread to all parts of the world. Tomatoes have numerous health benefits as they are strong in lycopene as per this article in WebMD.
We use tomatoes in so many dishes in our Indian cooking, be it from the South or the North of India. Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for dishes made with tomatoes, such as:-
I have adapted today's recipe from "Tomato Kurma" in Anusha's blog Tomato Blues. It is advisable to choose ripe and tangy tomatoes for best results when making this dish.
We loved this spicy and tangy South Indian accompaniment to hot idlis and idlis. You can adjust the spice level to suit your taste.
- Tomatoes, (medium-sized), 4
- Onion, (medium-sized), 2
- Cloves, (Laung), 2
- Cinnamon Stick, 1/2 inch piece
- Ginger Garlic Paste, 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Chilli Powder, 1 tsp or to taste
- Oil, 2 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander Leaves, finely chopped, 2 tbsp- for garnish
- Coconut Gratings, 1/2 cup
- Fennel Seeds,(Saunf), 1/2 tsp
- Poppy Seeds, (Khus Khus), 1tsp
- Green Chillies, 3-4