SOUTHEKAYI MOSARU PALYA
Today's recipe is for an easy to make yet tasty side dish made with cucumber and curds from my Home State of Karnataka. It gets its name from the two principal ingredients, Cucumber (Southekayi in Kannada) and Curds (Mosaru in Kannada.) Cucumber is called "Taushe" in my mother tongue, Konkani, and "Kakdi" in Marathi.
We welcome cucumber - which is largely made up of water- for its cooling properties during the hot summer months, particularly in combination with curds. Therefore it is commonly used in salads and raita, both in the South and North of India.
Cucumbers also have numerous health benefits.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for dishes made with Cucumber, such as:-
1. Choose tender cucumber for best results. If they are not so tender, you will have to peel the cucumber.
2. The curds used should be fresh to get a better taste for your dish.
- Cucumber, medium sized, 1
- Fresh Curds, 1/2 cup
- Onion, 1
- Green Chillies, 2
- Asafoetida ,(Hing), 1/8 tsp
- Turmeric Powder, 1/8 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal, 1 tsp
- Red Chilli, 1, broken into halves
- Curry Leaves, a few
- Oil, 1 tbsp