RICE KRISPIE TREATS: GUEST POST BY KATIE HAYES
As you know, we are visiting the United States on vacation and enjoying our stay in Oakland, Ca. Recently, we invited our friends Peter and Katie Hayes over and Katie brought for us her home made Rice Krispie Treats. This was something we were tasting for the first time.! They were so delicious that I requested her to share her recipe as a guest post in my blog.
While these Rice Krispie Treats can be made with any rice cereal, the product is traditionally associated with Kellogg's, the US food products giant which had 2022 sales of $15 .3 billion through their products like breakfast cereals, snacks, frozen foods and noodles. It was interesting for me to find out that the history of Kelloggs' Rice Krispies goes way back to 1928!
Readers in India will be glad to know that Kelloggs Rice Krispies are available in India from Amazon.in In making the Rice Krispie Treats, do remember that in the US, 1 cup is equal to 240 ml.
- Butter, 3 tbsp
- Marshmallows, large-sized , 40 OR Mini Marshmallows, 5 and 1/2 cups
- Rice Krispies Cereal, 6 cups ( Kelloggs or generic brand)
- Chocolate Chips, 2 cups
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat, add marshmellows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press mixture into 13" x 9 "x 2 " pan coated with cooking spray or butter
- You may choose to add a layer of chocolate. For this, melt 2 cups of chocolate chips ( dark chocolate, semi- sweet chocolate or milk chocolate) in a small saucepan over low heat. Do not scorch. Stir constantly and then immediately pour over Rice Krispie Treats
- Using a knife or spatula, spread the chocolate over the entire pan
- Let it cool for at least 30 minutes
- Cut into squares. Enjoy!!