Cabbage is one vegetable that is most commonly used all over India. It is easily available all through the year. It has numerous health benefits as it is rich in Vitamin C and has many antioxidants.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for dishes made with cabbage such as :-
- Cabbage Sukke from our Konkani cuisine
- Cabbage Lollipop- made in an appe pan and not deep fried
- Cabbage Sanna Polo - a spicy side dish from our Konkani cuisine
- Kimchi - a yummy salad made with cabbage
Today's recipe is an easy to make yet tasty side dish made with cabbage which is cooked in a pressure pan. This is quick to make. Since this recipe does not call for the use of onion and garlic, it comes in handy on days when you wish to avoid these ingredients. It goes well with both rice and chapatis.
I have adapted this from Cabbage Kootu from Padhu's Kitchen.
We tried this out recently and really enjoyed the dish.
- Cabbage, chopped, 3 cups
- Moong Dal, 1/4 cup
- Sambar Powder, 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves, 3-4
- Chickpeas ( Kala Chana), 1/4 cup (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut Gratings, 1/4 cup
- Cumin Seeds, 1 tsp
- Fried Gram, ( Udachakadalai/Hurigadale), 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Mustards Seeds, 3/4 tsp
- Urad Dal, 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida, ( Hing), 1/8 tsp
- Curry Leaves, a sprig
- Dry Red Chilli, broken into halves, 1
- Oil, 1 tsp