KELE PHODI (RAW BANANA SHALLOW FRY)
In my house, I make it a point to use raw/green/unripe bananas regularly in my cooking. Raw/Green Bananas are called Vazhakkai in Tamil, Balekayi in Kannada, Aratikaya in Telugu and Kaccha Kele in Hindi.
I like this vegetable because the dishes are easy to make as it gets cooked fast. Raw/Green Bananas are an excellent source of potassium and vitamin B-6. They are supposed to be particularly good for diabetics as per this article in NDTV.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for dishes using Raw Bananas such as:-
Today's recipe is for a very easy to make , simple yet tasty shallow fried raw bananas which we call Kele Phodi, in Konkani, my mother tongue.
These are served as an accompaniment to the main meal.
- Raw Banana, 1
- Chilli Powder, 1 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric (Haldi) Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida ( Hing), 1/4 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Rice Flour, 2 tbsp for dusting
- Semolina (Rawa), 2 tbsp, for dusting
- Oil, as required to shallow fry