We make use of Beaten Rice ( Poha in Hindi, Avalakki in Kannada and Phovu in my mother tongue, Konkani ) in different forms in my kitchen. Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for dishes made with Beaten Rice such as:-
- Poha Chivda the healthy microwaved version
- Poha Dosa
- Godu (Sweet) Phovu
This is an age old Konkani dish served for breakfast or as an evening snack. It is easy to make and delicious too. Most of us remember this from our childhood as in the old days it was a regular item on our breakfast tables. Nowadays, the simple Phova Usli has taken a back seat with Kanda Poha, Batata Poha etc becoming more popular over time.
However, old habits die hard and we still love this simple Phova Usli! It comes in handy on days when we avoid onion and garlic in our cooking!
- Phovu, (Beaten Rice), thick variety , 3 and 1/2 cups
- Sugar, 2 tsp or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Mustard Seeds , 1 tsp
- Urad Dal, (Black Gram ), 2 tsp
- Green Chillies, slit, 4-5
- Curry Leaves, 1 sprig
- Coconut Gratings, 1/4 cup
- Hing (Asafoetida), 1/4 tsp
- Coconut Oil, 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Post a Comment
If you have liked this recipe, I would appreciate your leaving a comment. Thank you !