The silver pomfret is called Paplet in Marathi. Pomfrets are really good for health as they are low in calories and fat but are rich in protein and have high quantities of Omega 3 fatty acids.
One of our Maharashtrian friends had invited us to lunch some years ago. The dish that stole the show that day was the pomfret. I simply had to ask her for the recipe for this dish which is popular in the Konkan areas and in Goa. She gave this willingly but in a general sense as she did not know the exact measurements.
I tried it out a few times before I perfected it and am glad to share my version of this popular dish.
Here's hoping you will love it - as much as we do!!
- Paplet (Pomfret), 500- 600 gms or about 7-8 slices
- Onions, 2
- Garlic Cloves, 7
- Poppy Seeds, (Khus Khus), 2 tsp
- Fresh Coconut Gratings, 1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder, 1/2 tsp + a little for marination
- Chilli Powder, 4 tsp
- Coriander Powder, 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder, 1 tsp
- Tamarind, 2 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, 2 and 1/2 tbsp