MAGGE & MASHINGASAANG AMBAT
In my house, I make dishes using Mangalore Cucumber from time to time. We call this Magge in my mother tongue, Konkani. It is called "Mangalooru Southekai" in Kannada, and Vellarikkai in Tamil. While strictly speaking it is called, "Field Marrow" this is variously known in India as Mangalore Cucumber, Madras Cucumber, and even Malabar Cucumber!
Here's an interesting article about the Mangalore Cucumber and its many health benefits.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for other dishes made with Magge, such as :-
- Magge ( Mangalore Cucumber ), medium-sized, 1/2 or about 400 grams
- Mashingasaang ( Drumsticks), 1
- Toor Dal, 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder, (Haldi) 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Coconut Gratings, 1 cup
- Roasted Red Byadgi Chillies, 4-5
- Tamarind, small marble sized
- Raw Rice, 1 tsp
- Onion, 1
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut Oil, 1 tbsp