Here's wishing you and your families a Very Happy and Peaceful New Year!
After the heavy food we enjoy in the holiday season - both eating out and hosting at home- we feel like having some simple homely food for a change! Even an easy to make side dish with rice and rasam or dal tastes great!!
I decided to make one using French Beans which is one of the most commonly available vegetables in India. It is used in cuisines of different parts of the country.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for dishes made with French Beans such as:-
- South-Indian style French Beans Moong Dal Stir Fry,
- Farasbi chi Sabzi from Maharashtrian cuisine
- Beans Talasani. from our Konkani cuisine
- French Beans Sesame Masala
Today's recipe is from my Home State of Karnataka. It is a "Palya" (stir fry) made with French Beans, called "Huralikayi" in Kannada. We enjoy this from time to time, as it is a simple, quick to make yet delicious side dish.
The addition of onion adds to the flavour of this dish. For best results, choose French Beans that are tender.
We enjoyed this with hot steamed rice and rasam.
- Huralikayi (French Beans), 500 grams
- Medium-sized Onions, 2
- Green Chillies, 2
- Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Hing, (Asafoetida), 1/4 tsp
- Channa Dal, 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal, 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves, 8-10
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Coconut Gratings, 1/4 cup
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, 2 tbsp