MATTI GULLA HULI
Matti Gulla is a special type of brinjal available in the Udupi area of my Home State of Karnataka. In India, it's commonly called the brinjal, while as abroad it is more usually called the eggplant or the aubergine. Call it what you will, we make much use of it in our Indian cuisine.
Brinjals are strong in antioxidants and Vitamin A and C and have numerous health benefits. They are available in different sizes and forms, ranging from the cute baby brinjal to the voluminous balloon brinjal.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for different dishes made with brinjals, such as:-
- Bharli Vaangi : made with baby brinjals
- Roasted Brinjal Chutney: made with large balloon brinjals
- Kathirikai Rasavangi : made with the regular brinjals
- Matti Gula Podi: made with a special type of brinjal available in the Udupi area of Karnataka
Tradition has it that the first crop of Matti Gulla ( named after a place called Matti, near Udupi) is offered at the Udupi Sri Krishna Temple.
Today's recipe is for a dish made withe very same Matti Gulla. It is for a Udupi-style Huli/sambar called Matti Gulla Huli. I have adapted this from the YouTube video Udupi Style Gulla Huli of Sudha's Kitchen.
- This recipe assumes you have cooked toor dal ready.
- We use the long green chillies which are less spicy for this dish.
- It is preferable that you use coconut oil for best result, but any other cooking oil will do
We enjoyed this very much for lunch with hot steamed rice.
- Matti Gulla, 2
- Tamarind - size of a lemon
- Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery, a small lemon sized ball
- Green Chillies, 4
- Coriander Leaves, 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves, a sprig
- Asafoetida, 1/8 tsp
- Cooked Toor Dal, 1/2 cup
- Salt, to taste
- Coconut Oil, 1/2 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal, 1 tbsp
- Coriander Seeds, 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds, 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Byadgi Red Chillies, 7-8
- Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp
- Urad Dal, 1 tsp
- Red Chillies broken into halves, 2
- Coconut Oil, 2 tsp
Post a Comment
If you have liked this recipe, I would appreciate your leaving a comment. Thank you !