GULLA PUDDI SAGLE
Today's recipe is from our own GSB Konkani cuisine and is called Gulla Puddi Sagle. It is a side dish generally served with our traditional meal of rice and dal. It also goes well with rotis.
For this dish, I have used Matti Gulla which is a special type of brinjal available in the Udupi area of my Home State of Karnataka. Tradition has it that the first crop of Matti Gulla ( named after a place called Matti, near Udupi) is offered at the Udupi Sri Krishna Temple.
Brinjals are strong in antioxidants and Vitamin A and C and have numerous health benefits. They are available in different sizes and forms, ranging from the cute baby brinjal to the voluminous balloon brinjal.
Elsewhere in this blog, you will find recipes for different dishes made with brinjals, such as:-
- Bharli Vaangi : made with baby brinjals
- Roasted Brinjal Chutney: made with large balloon brinjals
- Kathirikai Rasavangi : made with the regular brinjals
- Matti Gula Podi: made with a special type of brinjal available in the Udupi area of Karnataka
- Matti Gulla Huli
- Matti Gullas, 2-3
- Medium-sized Onions, 2
- Fresh Coconut Gratings, 1 cup
- Byadgi Red Chillies, 7-8
- Tamarind, size of a small marble
- Coriander Seeds, 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds, 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves, a few
- Coconut Oil, 2 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
Next roast the coriander seeds and the fenugreek seeds till they turn golden. Keep aside.
When they splutter add the curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve Gulla Puddi Sagle hot as a side dish with rice and dal